Monday, June 21, 2010

the big race.

Well the Wasatch Back has come and gone and I can’t believe how fast it went! It was such an amazing and unforgettable experience. Our team did AWESOME and we had such a good time.

We got about 3 hours of sleep (more than our other van got) and we were definitely beat after the race, but it was worth it!IMG_5600                              Here is Alan and Brandie doing their first exchange.IMG_5605

Here is my first run (5.2 miles). I ran through Paradise and started running up the canyon to Avon pass. I got a nice sunburn and the heat definitely made it harder.IMG_5606

This is Dan’s first leg and he ran down the canyon into Ogden Valley. He did amazing and it was so fun to drive up ahead and wait for him to come running by. I gave him water and made sure he was okay (we all did that for each other).IMG_5609IMG_5611                                     Lookin’ good!

IMG_5612   IMG_5617

Here is van 2 in the red suburban. We didn’t decorate our cars but we will next time for sure!

IMG_5621           Another exchange from Alan to Brandie. Alan was a beast and ran the furthest on the whole team (over 22 miles total!). He did great and helped us get way ahead of our projected time.IMG_5623              This is Dan giving me water on my second leg as I ran into Mountain Green. It was a great temperature in the evening and it was so beautiful! During all my runs, I tried to take notice of the beautiful surroundings. When I was struggling I tried to remember how lucky I was to have the health to run and I tried to enjoy what was around me. That and my good music helped keep me going!IMG_5624
IMG_5630           Here are the members of van 1 (minus Brett who was trekking up the canyon at this point). Brandie, Erik (who came all the way from California and did great despite the huge change in altitude!), Alan, me and Dan. We all got along great and actually had a a really good time together!IMG_5631         The gorgeous view of Jordanelle right after sunrise. I got to run almost 4 miles straight downhill into Heber Valley from here. There were hot air balloons and it was so pretty!IMG_5636                                      Finishing my last run! It was such a relief! Dan ended up running about 18.1 miles and I ran about 13.5 miles total. The race was 190 miles from Logan to Park City over a lot of mountain passes.IMG_5640                                          Dan modeling our sweet team shirts. The logo was for Kings Row Boards, which is a skateboarding (and other types of boards) company Dan’s uncle and cousin started. They also ran with us.IMG_5639 IMG_5641            Marty (my father in law) battling his last run in the heat of the day! He was amazing and did so well. I couldn’t believe his strength!IMG_5615

Dan and I resting on the grass with Erik in the background.


This is Tyson starting up the hill on his last leg. This was 3.5 miles straight up the canyon and it was brutal. Tyson was amazing and did so well on all his legs, but by the end of his last leg, he was about ready to die!                      IMG_5651                                              Mike had the hardest leg, known as the “Ragnar Hill”. It was unreal how steep and hard it was. We were done at that point and just driving up the hill in the truck was crazy! I can’t believe how well he did considering how hard that was and how hot it was! He ended at 9000 feet! (This pic was obviously before he started that leg….)                        IMG_5656

This is me running along Mike for a bit to give him some water.


The view of Heber Valley when we were almost to the top of the hill.

IMG_5653 IMG_5684

The finish line! We made it to Park City and we all got to run the last hundred yards together. It was very exciting and fun!

IMG_5673   IMG_5685IMG_5688

The Honey Buckets became good friends and a familiar site along the way. I have a freaky phobia of porta potties as well as campground toilets so I wasn’t too stoked about using these. But I survived! Dan used these puppies at least once every. single. stop. He grew to love them and had a hard time adjusting to a real clean bathroom when we got home.

IMG_5689                One good thing about the Honey Buckets was that I loved the smell of the hand sanitizer they had! It was awesome.IMG_5665             Here are the runner’s from van 1: Brett, Brandie, Alan, Erik, me, and Dan.IMG_5676         Here is our entire team (plus Wellyn) at the finish line: Dan, Curt, Becky, Mike, Erik, me, Brandie, Brett, Marty, Jon, Alan, and Tyson. Our team finished in 30 hours and 36 minutes which is pretty amazing!

I’m so proud of everyone on our team! The race was something we will definitely never forget. It was so cool to cheer each other one and to be cheered on by your teammates. Everyone there was having a good time and the feeling was unexplainable. It is a great feeling of accomplishment to be able to do something like this. I’m so glad we had the opportunity to do it and I loved doing it with Dan! Now we might do the race in Las Vegas in October, but we’ll have to recover first and then we’ll decide!


The Steeds said...

We are so impressed. Your family has inspired us-- but not enough to want to do it ourselves. :) Hope you get some sleep.

Nicole said...

Wasn't it crazy how much the heat could affect your run?! I was feeling that for my first and last run.

Congratulations on your finish time and for completing it! No one really knows how big of an accomplishment it is until they've done it!

Amy Burtenshaw said...

Nice work you two! That is so awesome that you did that together. I am pretty sure I would have keeled over.

ShaNae said...

I loved your pics! good work! you ran leg four I'm guessing?! cause I was leg five. Nuts! but congrats! it's like the best feeling ever to finish!